WotLK Classic Shadowmourne Questline: What are the Epic changes in Phase 4?
Welcome to the epic journey of acquiring the legendary weapon, Shadowmourne, in World of Warcraft: Wrath of the Lich King Phase 4. This phase brings forth the opening of the Frozen Halls in the north, leading to a climactic showdown with the Lich King himself in the Icecrown Citadel. This guide will detail the significant changes in the Shadowmourne questline and provide you with a step-by-step walkthrough on how to obtain this awe-inspiring weapon as quickly as possible.
- The Original Shadowmourne Questline
- The Challenge of the Original Questline
- The Epic Changes
- The New Optimal Way to Obtain Shadowmourne
↖ The Original Shadowmourne Questline
Before diving into the recent changes, let's briefly recap how the Shadowmourne questline used to work:
- Reputation with Ashen Verdict: To begin the journey, players had to attain a friendly reputation with the Ashen Verdict.
- Primordial Serenites: Gathering 25 Primordial Serenites was the next step, which was similar to the new Runedoor above the phase.
- Light's Vengeance: Obtaining the Lights Vengeance mace from Dragonblight was also part of the process.
- Blood of Rotface and Festergut: Players had to acquire the Blood of Rotface and Festergut, with each boss dropping only one per week.
- Shadow's Edge: The reward for completing these steps was the Shadow's Edge axe, a powerful 264-item level weapon.
Infusing Shadow's Edge: The next phase involved infusing Shadow's Edge by completing various quests within Icecrown Citadel. These quests included:
- A Feast of Souls: Killing 50 trash mobs in the raid.
- Unholy Infusion: Becoming an Abomination during the Putricide fight and absorbing slimes.
- Blood Infusion: Getting hit by Blood Mirror on the Lanathel fight and biting three people.
- Frost Infusion: Tanking four of Sindragosa's frost breath attacks.
- Shadow Frost Shards: After infusing, players could start collecting Shadow Frost Shards, requiring a total of 50 to complete the Shadowmourne questline.
- Bonus Quests: Defeating the Lich King also unlocked bonus quests and access to a sealed chest with additional rewards.
↖ The Challenge of the Original Questline
The original questline had several challenges and trade-offs. Players needed to balance between raid progression, questline completion, and gearing up in heroic modes. Guilds had to funnel Primordial Serenites to one player, delaying the guild's progression and causing a potential loss of gear upgrades. Moreover, the drop rate for Shadow Frost Shards varied between normal and heroic modes, extending the time required to obtain Shadowmourne.
↖ The Epic Changes
Now, let's delve into the epic changes that have reshaped the Shadowmourne questline:
|Equalized Drop Rate||Blizzard has equalized the drop rate of Shadow Frost Shards on both normal and heroic modes. This change recognizes that Icecrown Citadel is challenging, making normal mode a reasonable choice for most guilds.|
|Guaranteed Shadow Frost Shards||Five Shadow Frost Shards are now guaranteed to drop each week from specific bosses on both normal and heroic modes. This ensures a steady progression towards Shadowmourne, taking at most 10 weeks with consistent clears.|
|Primordial Saronite Availability||Primordial Saronite, crucial for crafting Shadowmourne, can now be obtained from Titan Rune dungeons and a new vendor named The Defiler Scourge down vendor. This change lowers the price of Saronite, making Shadowmourne more affordable.|
|Shadow Frost Shards Access||Players can now obtain Shadow Frost Shards without being on the Splinter Throne portion of the questline. This eliminates the need to focus solely on the questline during launch week, allowing guilds to concentrate on progression and speedrunning.|
↖ The New Optimal Way to Obtain Shadowmourne
Here's the updated optimal approach to obtaining Shadowmourne:
- Start the questline and prioritize raid clears, whether on normal or heroic modes, with your guild.
- Consider pugging Shadowmourne runs on normal modes, reserving the shards for yourself.
- Focus on obtaining blood from Rotface and Festergut during your raids.
- Prioritize world tours on your alts to maximize Defiler Scourge Stones for purchasing Primordial Saronite.
- Collect Emblems of Frost on all your alts, including 10-man lockouts and 25-man lockouts, to maximize Primordial Saronite.
- Complete the three infusion quests when you have 25 Primordial Saronite.
- Finally, collect the remaining Shadow Frost Shards and wield your Shadowmourne with pride.
With these epic changes to the Shadowmourne questline, obtaining this legendary weapon has become more accessible and manageable. Whether you're a Death Knight, Warrior, or Paladin, follow this guide to embark on your journey to wield the fearsome Rune-inscribed two-handed longsword and change the course of Azeroth forever. Shadowmourne awaits, and it's now within your reach. Good luck on your quest!
Most Popular Posts
- WotLK Classic Phase 4 Updates: Top 10 Exciting New Stuff
- WotLK Classic Phase 4: DPS Tier List and Ranking
- WotLK Classic Phase 4: Random Dungeon Finder Guide
- WotLK Classic Phase 3 DPS Specs: Tier List | Trial of the Grand Crusader
- WotLK Classic Phase 4: Account-Wide Collections, Easier Shadowmourne, Dungeons and Raids Update
- WotLK Classic Blood DPS Guide: Everything You Need To Know
Popular Category Lists
- Path of Exile / (555)
- Diablo IV / (424)
- Runescape / (251)
- Guild Wars 2 / (128)
- New World / (127)
- Elder Scrolls Online / (114)
- FFXIV / (112)
- World of Warcraft / (53)
- WOW Classic / (38)
- Elden Ring / (33)
- SWTOR / (31)
- League of Legends / (29)
- Fallout 76 / (24)
- Genshin Impact / (22)
- Dark and Darker / (19)
- WotLK Classic / (18)
- Last Epoch / (18)
- GTA 5 / (18)
- Throne and Liberty / (16)
- Albion / (16)